Monday, December 14, 2009

Finding the Son in Sunday

Yesterday, the two parents who live in this household received the "worst parents of the world" award. We did something so heinously evil that it should be made into a movie and shown at midnight wherever teens gather to trash parents. We...(gasp)...

TURNED OFF THE ROUTER

Yep, no internet. From about 2 p.m. until about 8 p.m. none of us were surfing, chatting, FBing, or you-tubing. Instead one went to the gym, one was reading and baking, one was working on models in the basement and one was fuming while doing non-internet-required homework. (We carefully asked that question before we made the big decision).

You see, the two adults in this household have discovered an uncanny ability to go heads-down with a computer with internet connection for hours...and to wake up with the entire day spent and not much accomplished. So we decided that in order to prepare for the work/school week, and to (hopefully) foster family time, we will do this each Sunday for a while so we can wean ALL of us of our addiction. Shamefully, I wish I could say this was only a teen problem in our house, but it isn't. It is just too easy to click 'one more thing'...

We will, of course, make exceptions if there is a school/work need that pops up. However, if you live in a country where you KNOW the electricity is going to be OFF for a certain time period each day, don't you figure out to do everything that requires electricity at some other time?

This is an evolving project...stay tuned...but don't read our child's Facebook page. Said child is really irked. LOL.

So, if any of you out there have more suggestions on how to make our teens miserable, let me know. They may get used to this and then we'll have to up the ante.

Of course, I did have a dream last night about someone running away from home. I think it was me.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

LOL! We might try that one here!!

Anonymous said...

Well now I know The Grinch That Stole Christmas. ROFLMAO!!! One way to up the ante is make the daughter bake cookies :) It's a good thing they don't have cell phones with data plans...you'd be a gonner. Your dream was just too funny I tell ya. You might have to go to Routers Anonymous LOL

The Bug said...

LOL - my husband & I could definitely stand to do that! We recently subscribed to the local paper & I actually spent an hour reading it yesterday - what a novel concept!

SouthLakesMom said...

Catherine - it's a weird feeling, but I think it will pass.

Thom -- obviously you don't have a problem with being on-line too much...HAH!

Bug -- yesterday they were giving out $50 gift cards for the local Safeway if you subscribed to the paper...I said, "I already do, may I have a reward for being a good patron?" She said 'no,' and slid it back across the counter to the drawer. Talk about the Grinch! See if I sit down and read their rag! Hah! Washington COMPOST!

quilly said...

No net on PURPOSE! Oh my gosh! I am certain I would need to detox!

Oh wait, I wasn't anywhere near the net from midnight Saturday until 2:00 p.m. Sunday for 10 minutes -- then 7:30 Sunday evening -- when I read me email, put up Punny Monday and drug myself to bed.

Nessa said...

You could also take away cell phones. I really enjoyed my daughter's misery when I did that.

Tweet the Meat

Anonymous said...

Nope...that I don't :)