Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Break Cookies

The kids are on break this week.  They seem to think that means I'm available to take them wherever they want to go.  But they also want me to bake cookies.  Hmm...only in the Star Trek universe can I be in two places at once -- and as long as I don't see myself there's a chance I'll remain intact.  At any rate, I do a lot of driving around during school days but all of my activities are on break too so I'm staying!  And I baked cookies.

This is my friend, Karon's, recipe.  I can't use vanilla chips due to nut warnings on the packaging so I bought some non-nut warning white chocolate bark and broke it up.  Oooo--wee! I don't recommend that.  They are way too sweet and it made them less dough-y!  (My teen son loves them though)



Orange Vanilla Cookies

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp fresh finely grated orange peel
1-2 tsp. fresh orange juice
3/4 -1 12-oz package vanilla chips

Combine dry ingredients.  Set aside.  Beat butter, sugars in large mixing bowl.  Add egg, beat well.  Add fresh orange juice and grated orange peel.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in vanilla morsels.  Allow dough to rest and chill in refrigerator for two hours.  Preheat oven to 325 deg.  Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly brown around the edges.  Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.

NOTE: Be smarter than I am.  FIRST, grate the orange peel off the orange.  THEN squeeze it for the juice. Trust me, it's better in this order!

5 comments:

quilly said...

Sounds too yummy!

Anonymous said...

Do the survive the US Postal Serivce? LOL They sound good :)

Mary said...

Hmmm...orange-vanilla: sounds intriguing!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

YuhuhuHUM! I'd love it like that too - yum yum yum!!

Thanks for the recipe!!

(and it's hilarious about the microphone - I laughed out loud!)

Another Suburban Mom said...

Those sound tasty. Also if you microwave the orange for about 10 seconds after the zesting, you will get lots of juice very easily.