Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Random Dozen




Thanks to Lid at 2nd cup of coffee, here are some more questions! And answers...(she's not responsible for the answers -- those are my own follies!)

1. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good,
bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don't care, just share.

We lived in Japan and I got to ride the base shuttle bus instead of a school bus. Very cool. I had some red stacked up sandals that had tiny white polka dots. This was a very big deal because I was born with very crooked feet that had required straightening with casts and 'special' shoes for years. I was rarely allowed to wear non-corrective shoes.
So, I was waiting for the shuttle bus at a spot a ways from my home (because I thought it was a 'cooler' stop). I was sitting on a wall with my feet stretched out in front of me, admiring my sandals and hoping someone else
was noticing how COOL they were. And a bird flew over. And did its business. And, well, yeah, I was mortified. All day. I did my best to clean it up, but I never looked at those shoes quite the same again! And for some reason I always imagined they felt squishy on one foot. (I'm re-using this photo from an earlier one -- but I have the sandals on it!)

2. What's your favorite Beatles song? Agghhh -- I shouldn't have read Quilly's answer! Now I have THAT SONG stuck in my head and it's NOT my favorite! Okay, I guess Twist & Shout. It always cheers me and leads me to embarrass my children as I sing and dance wherever it comes on.

3. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be? Jams -- with slippers.

4. Would you rather host a party or be a guest? Host...I like control.

5. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that? No, there is something tactile about traditional books that digital will not be able to replace. But if we do such a crazy thing, you can all come to my house because we are really into the real thing.

6. Do you learn best by reading, listening or experiencing? Reading -- first to myself and then reading aloud.

7. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?) When their ego enters the room before they do. (See answer 10)

8. Snacks. Salty or sweet?
Yes.

9. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn't realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?

Everything that's here I'm aware of -- it's just too much of it. Some of it is destined for freecyling, so its sitting here trying to remind me that it needs a new home.

10. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie? Ick. I don't like him at all. I guess I'd have to say Top Gun because of the really cool flying, but that's the only part about it I like -- not the story or the cast.

11. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don't like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle? FREECYCLE!

12. Your favorite Fall comfort food? (Last week it was beverage.) Soups in the crockpot. Unfortunately, I'm the only one around here who is soup mad, so I have to make it and freeze a lot or give it away or have a party (see 4 above)

10 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

I love soups, too. We can get together and share recipes.

If I want to feed Amoeba a lot of soup, I have to make certain he still has plenty of carbs or he'll think he's starving. I serve a lot of fresh baked break, biscuits or crescent rolls (Pillsbury) during soup season! And salad at almost every dinner year round.

SouthLakesMom said...

Oohh -- I'd love to share recipes! My goal for this winter is to reproduce (to the best of my ability) my late father-in-law's lentil soup. He never wrote it down (of course), so I keep trying to figure it out!

Dena said...

Sounds like a lot of us need to get together for a soup-a-thon since we are all soup lovers. :)

Great answers!

Vashti said...

fun list!!! I also love soup and my hubby says that soup is not a meal so I rarely get to make it!

Melli said...

LOL! I don't like to read anyone else's answers before I do this meme - I don't like to be influenced in any way by what they might have said - that's why I'm rather glad that Lid waits until the next day to put HER answers!

I always forget about Freecycle! I need to check in with them! I have used them a time or two - but mostly I just forget they are there.

WE do a LOT of soup here in Fall and Winter... I usually make rice to go with because my hubby is like Quilly's Amoeba -- he wants something with a little more "substance" ... so his becomes soup thick with rice. Mine does too sometimes!

Joyce said...

I think Linda should have everyone post their favorite soup recipe in her next random dozen!

The commenter before me mentioned Lentil soup-it's my husband's favorite but it must 'look like mud' or it's not like what his mama made : )

Barbara H. said...

Oooh, I should have said soups, too. I love them, but I am about the only one who does, though the family will tolerate them.

I can just picture the scene with the shoes!

Susanne said...

I've never heard of Freecycle. I'll have to check out if they have one in my area.

Skoots1moM said...

i don't understand it, but my family doesn't like soup either...what's with that?
good list
nice 'meeting you'!

Unknown said...

I'm really going to have to buy a crockpot!