Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow Baking

There are some things one just MUST do when the weather is cold.  Baking is one of them.  Today I baked oatmeal cookies.  I had some crystallized ginger I bought at Christmas time that was sitting on the counter staring reproachfully at me, so I chopped it into bits and threw it in.


I gotta tell you, these are the BEST oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever made.  And I put the recipe into Sparks.com and it turns out each of them is *only* 87 calories.  So, go ahead and enjoy!



Oatmeal Raisin Cookies With Ginger Twist

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 cups Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raisins

2 oz chopped crystallized ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream sugars and butter together.  Add eggs and vanilla, combine thoroughly. Add flour, baking soda and salt.  Combine thoroughly again.  Mix in oatmeal, raisins and ginger.

Drop on ungreased cookie sheet in spoonfuls.  Be sure to space because they will spread.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack for cooling.  Build fence to keep teen son from inhaling all as he walks through kitchen.

3 comments:

quilly said...

sounds yummy but I am still not baking them. Even at 87 calories each, 10 of them are 870 calories and I know if they are yummy and sweet I will eat until I am full!

Anonymous said...

There ya go tempting me again. LOL

Susan at Stony River said...

I love baking in winter (especially because our kitchen is so cold without it!) and I loooove ginger, but no way. I'm stuck at 140lbs and can't get past it yet even being *good*, so these little things are Drop-cookies of Diet Doom. I'll bake them to celebrate getting all the weight off -- sometime in April I hope!!