Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chaperoning

I'm in Colonial Williamsburg this weekend with 28 really smart, articulate, amazing, exhausting teens.  They're the Model United Nations club from our high school, representing our school as delegates.  MUN conferences have many committees, loosely based on UN committees, along with crisis committees that can vary from fantastical (crisis in Camelot) to historical (Churchill's cabinet in WWII) to real world (Apple Computers management team).  Crisis committees get scenarios sent in to the committee as they role play all weekend.

One of our students is Bombilcar of Ancient Carthage.  One is the CFO of Apple -- now acting CEO.  Some are in the Mexican cabinet dealing with drug wars.  The country we were assigned for all the UN committees is Syria -- and almost no one wants to listen to our kids because the world is mad at Syria.  Our kids LOVE being in that position; it gets their blood flowing.

While they're in committee, the other chaperones and I get to relax, sight-see or, as I did yesterday, geocache.  The campus here is beautiful, and these are photos from it.  Found 2 caches as well.

Unfortunately, one of our girls woke up sick this morning so I'm hanging back with her.  I'm watching old movies on TV and catching up in a way I can't at home. At home, I'd feel compelled to do some laundry or something.  Here, I can't, so I get to catch up on my blog!

It's been a wild 2 months, but we've had great progress.  My mother-in-law's house, finally emptied, went on the market on a Sunday and we were offered full price on Wednesday.  The closing will be Dec 15.  This is great news as the suppressed market is still evident here.  Wow.  This is God at work.



Enjoy your Thanksgiving and be truly thankful in ALL things.

3 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

What a great experience you are having - sorry about the sick student. Enjoy your time away!

Mary said...

Glad you got a chance to geocache!

The Bug said...

I was about to send out a search party :)

Glad things are going well - that's GREAT news about the house!