Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Checking In

Been very busy!

Last week I went to the Smithsonian American Art Museum. They have a conservation lab there where you can make an appointment for them to look at a painting or drawing you own and they make suggestions on what you might want to do to preserve it.  I took a painting that we inherited from my in-laws.  It had lived in a house with smokers for many years, so I wasn't sure whether the yellowing would be cleanable.  Good news!  It is!  Bad news -- they don't do it there.  Sigh.  They did give me a list of restorers/cleaners though.

Since we were down there anyway, we spent the day and saw some of the exhibits in the museum. I nodded at one of the guards and spoke briefly sort of acknowledging his presence instead of ignoring him. Well, that started him talking and he was really interesting. He came from Sierra Leone and has lived a life time in his 50 some years. He believes they need the British to come back and run Africa because, "it's been no good since they left." I'd imagine that isn't a popular idea back in Sierra Leone. Perhaps that's why he's working in America.

At any rate, America, America, God shed His grace on thee...I don't know why He would when we've kicked Him out of everything. But at any rate, we're still plugging along and this exhibit at the museum shows it!


Did you figure it out?



3 comments:

The Bug said...

What a cool display!! I DID figure it out ;)

When I was in Zambia I had the change to visit Zimbabwe. Zambia had had its independence since 1964 & Zimbabwe got its independence in 1982 (I was there in 1987). There was a MARKED difference between the two countries! Those almost 20 extra years of British rule moved Zimbabwe much more firmly into the 20th century. But, you know? I'm not so sure that was really an improvement :)

By the way - I will be in Reston on February 26th & 27th (Flying in Wednesday afternoon & flying back home Friday morning). I have a training on Thursday from 8:30 - 4:30 - but should have Wed. & Thurs. evening free. Let me know if you'd like to meet up - it would be cool to see each other in real life!

Sweet Tea said...

The Preamble - so cool!!

SouthLakesMom said...

Oh, I would love to see you! Will e-mail privately!