Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 2/3 of Canada Trip - Maine to New Brunswick to Nova Scotia



Maine is a big state. Very long. But we left early from Westover and headed up to Great Pond Outdoor Recreation Center for an overnight. That was our first night in our strassenkreuzer. The recreation center was great. We got there early enough that the kids could get the bikes out and ride down from our RV site to the center. After a while I decided to go look for them and about the time I found them, the rain was really coming down. I sent them back to get their dad with the vehicle as we were going down to the wide spot in the road for dinner. As I waited in the rec center where there was wi-fi and popcorn, I copied a recipe from a magazine. All I had to write on was the back of a small calendar page, so I wasn't sure I'd gotten everything! I made it here at home last night. If I left anything out, I can't tell! It is YUMMY! Here it is:

Asian Chicken Salad

1 lb boneless skinless breasts of chicken
6 T Asian black bean sauce (jarred)
1 T canola oil
3 cloves garlic
½ lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
1 head bok choy, cut into 1½ “ pieces
2 small carrots, peeled and cut into coins
8 oz. lo mein noodles
1/8 tsp cayenne

Bring pot of water to boil. Slice chicken into strips. Toss w/2 Tb of black bean sauce. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and garlic. Cook 4 minutes. Transfer to plate, keep warm. Reduce heat, add green beans, bok choy and carrots. Sauté 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and cover skillet. Cook 5 minutes. Boil the noodles 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a
platter. Uncover vegetables. Add chicken back to vegetables and add remaining 4 Tbs black bean sauce and cayenne. Mix thoroughly. Toss with lo mein noodles. Serve


That night the only real debacle of the trip occurred -- the AC wouldn't go on in the RV. Fortunately, we had chosen to go north instead of south and as the evening cooled down, it was quite comfortable. The mosquitos were a little pesky, but we were tired
enough to even ignore them! We woke early the next morning and headed for Calais (pronounced cal-iss by locals) for a border crossing and headed into New Brunswick. We passed an eagle nesting area on the way. This is not a great shot, but it is definitely a BIG BIRD!
I had initially planned to use the ferry from Saint John over to Nova Scotia, but there were no available spots for us on the day we needed to cross. So although it was a long trip on Wednesday (much thanks to our fabulous driver!), we pressed on to Falls Lake, a Canadian Forces recreation center near Halifax.
This time we arrived just after the store on site closed, so I used most of what I had grabbed from our fridge at home to make some kind of egg/ham/veggie mix. No one complained!
These are photos from the route those days and from Falls Lake. I want to mention that while at Falls Lake my son tried to give me heart failure as he stood on slippery rocks and watched my face. Thus, the expression on his face here. It is so hard to accept that he's not 4 anymore!

/kw

1 comment:

HeatherK said...

Welcome to Nova Scotia, Hope you enjoy your stay and that you get some nice weather while you are here!