Wednesday, July 14, 2010

YUMMY SHRIMP N SAUCE



We have one child who loves shrimp and one who doesn't like to be in the room when it's on the table. The latter child is still away at Governor's School, so we're chowing down! I asked my husband to pick up some shrimp for me to stir fry with my famous garlic sauce. However, when I took the bag out yesterday to prepare, I saw that he had purchased previously cooked shrimp.  SCREECH OF BRAKES!  CHANGE OF PLANS.

No problem. I simply thawed them and rinsed them and made this yummy chili dipping sauce. Despite it's name and ingredients, it wasn't too spicy for kids. I love that it used normal ingredients - nothing fancy to buy. Try it!

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. kosher salt


Simmer 1/2 cup sugar, water, vinegar, garlic and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat.

When sugar is dissolved, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the consistency of maple syrup, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in pepper flakes to taste. (I did about 1/8 tsp)

Remind family members that double dipping is NOT allowed.  Serve.

Because this is so sugary, it's also very sticky, so be sure to wipe everything up completely or the ants will come marching in for breakfast the next morning...

No comments: