Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sights of the Southwest

I'm still in Texas helping my mom.  I took a walk the other evening though and it was wonderful. The temperature was about 60 degrees and I walked around the big block -- a distance I thought unreasonably huge to ask a high schooler to walk back in the day.  "Oh please, dad.  Why can't I drive to school?"  Um...because we live about a block away?  Sigh.

On my walk I saw this.  Isn't it wicked?:



Yesterday we went out to the base to do some things.  It was fun being around the young troops -- so much joy in life.  They have all these different accents from all over the country, but when they belong to the same unit, they are brothers.  It's cool.  At any rate, wherever there are young men with jobs, there are people trying to part them from their money.  This was parked in the middle of the mall area.


Click on it to see the paint job and the screens.  Multiple screens.

Doesn't it just reek testosterone?  And the screens were showing a Jackie Chan movie.  Yeah.

Finally, today we were out near the airport, and this is El Paso's contribution to statuary art.  It's called "The Conquistador."  Mom says it was very unpopular and only the politicians showed up to dedicate.  Why do you think that is?  Perhaps because the conquistadors were ruthless conquerors of the native peoples who exploited all the resources of the new world?  Hmmm...


Tell me what you think!




1 comment:

The Bug said...

Did I ever tell you that one of my nephews signed up with the army last year? He graduated high school & headed to basic training in Oklahoma. Then he spent about 8 weeks at Fort Sam getting his medic training. Now he's at Fort Lewis in Washington - talk about contrasting weather! He's a frugal young man - in fact his folks are driving his car out to Washington for him (from NC).

We're having a dreary rainy day here in Ohio - but at least it's warm(ish)...