Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Ride

Having carefully prepared a timing plan that had jobs for everyone in the house, I left this morning at 8:15 to go lead a Reston Thanksgiving Family Bike Ride. The ride converges on our Town Center from four areas of Reston.

We were to meet up at the Dunkin' Donuts at the Hunters Woods Shopping Center between 8:45 and 9. From there we would ride up to the Reston Town Center, about 3 miles.

I left early because it was really cold (28 degrees) and I wanted to make sure I was able to get the creaking bones moving!  Not really - I was worried about ice. Sure enough, there was ice on each of the bridges across our paved paths, but I just went slow and straight through. There was one place on the path, though, that I got off the bike and walked on the side because I could see the black ice glistening across the entire way. I was on my road bike with skinny tires, so that could have been treacherous.

I waited at Dunkin Donuts, HEROICALLY resisting going inside, until 9:10.  Since no one showed, I returned home just in time to resume my 'chief cook' duties and stick the turkey in the oven. I think my husband was a little bit sad to no longer be indispensable to the meal...but he relinquished the oven mitts graciously. He's happy to just do clean-up ... you know, cleaning the food off the plate in front of him?  (Seriously though, he pulls the turkey out, carves, and does actual clean-up, so he's more important than he thinks).

So, here's a terrible photo of me (a selfie) at Dunkin Donuts.  The sun was in my eyes, and I was in about 4 layers, but proof that I EARNED my turkey and pumpkin pie this year.


I will say that the turkey and everything turned out to be great.  The only bad thing was the gravy.  I don't seem to be able to master gravy -- but since I'm the only one in the family who likes it, it isn't a huge loss. It sure is a lot of trouble for just me, but I hate failing at something so "simple"...


1 comment:

The Bug said...

My mom could never do gravy either - that was always my dad's job :)

Good for you for getting out there! I thought about it & said NO. Ha!