1 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp chili powder
3 tsp garlic powder
2 1/4 tsp onion powder
3 whole boneless chicken breasts, split in half
6 T unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup heavy cream
Pasta to serve over
To make the chicken breasts easy to split in half, put them in the freezer for 15 minutes.
1. Combine the seasonings and coat chicken breasts
2. In large saute pan melt half of the butter and cook the chicken over medium heat for about 8 minutes, on each side.
3. Pour the cream into the skillet and lower the heat.
4. Simmer for several minutes, stirring until the sauce thickens. Add remaining butter.
5. Serve over pasta, topped by sauce.
I didn't have any onion powder, so I cut half an onion into small pieces and threw those in the butter at the beginning. Then used the other half on the grater and put that juice on the chicken breasts.
The original recipe calls for a lot more salt, but we found it too salty. It also calls for whole breasts -- but only 7 or 8 minutes total cooking. That just doesn't work -- the chicken wasn't cooked through. So I've tweaked it for our taste. I think next time we'll add a touch of cayenne!
So be smart - if your chicken breasts are truly whole and fat, either cut them, or increase the time.