Monday, February 7, 2011

Glycemic Index Cookbook Recipe #1

This is recipe #1 from the Low Glycemic Index Cookbook.



Goat Cheese & Tomato Omelet

3 egg whites
2 eggs
1 Tbs water
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Nonstick Cooking Spray
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 plum tomato, diced (1/3 cup)
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil or parsley

1.  Whisk together egg whites, eggs, water, salt and pepper in medium bowl.

2.  Spray medium non-stick skillet with cooking spray, place over medium heat.  Add egg mixture; cook 2 minutes or until eggs begin to set on bottom.  Gently lift edge of omelet to allow uncooked portion of eggs to flow to underneath.  Cook 3 minutes or until center is almost set.




3.  Sprinkle with cheese, tomato and basil over half of omelet.  


Fold omelet over filling.  Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and center is set.  Cut omelet in half; transfer to serving plates.

Makes 2 servings

Nutrients per Serving:  Calories: 80, Carbohydrate: 2g, Total Fat: 5g. Sat Fat: 3g; Fiber: 0g

Changes I made:

I ran into a grocery store late in the afternoon to get some goat's cheese.  It wasn't in the best neighborhood around here, so the only choice on offer was feta.  I love feta, so that's what I used.  Also, in the choice of basil or parsley, they only had fresh parsley, so I grabbed that.

My impression:

Well...I would use a lot less parsley than 2 Tbs next time. And I guess I'd try the goat cheese because although I love feta, it didn't melt well enough to really blend in.

I will say that it really DOES serve 2 people.  I split it with my son and it was more than enough. I had grapes with mine.

So on a scale of 5 stars, I'd give this a 3 the way I made it.

Next Up:  Sweet Potato Pancakes with Apple-Cherry Chutney

3 comments:

The Bug said...

Well it LOOKS fabulous :) I'm a feta lover too, but it's good to know that it didn't really work in this recipe. And I would be so tempted to use cilantro rather than the other herbs...

Mary said...

Okay, I may be a cooking dork, but what is the difference between goat cheese & feta? I thought they were the same thing. (I can see you shaking your head and saying, "Really?"!!!)
This sounds like something CH would like.

quilly said...

I suspect that Amoeba wouldn't care for this, but it sounds good to me!