Friday, February 25, 2011

Truly Comfort Food

I've been wanting to do this for a couple of days but finally got my act together today.  I'll let the photos and recipe speak for themselves.



 Ingredients:
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Large onion, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 lb ground lamb or beef
1 cup beef or chicken broth
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 tsp chopped fresh or dry rosemary
1 Tbs chopped Italian parsley
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
6 Tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk (any fat content)
kosher salt to taste

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat.  Add onions, carrots, and meat  Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
  3. Add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs.  Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the frozen vegetables.
  4. Pour the mixture into a baking dish, set aside
  5. Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to boil in salted water.  Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
  6. Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
  7. Spread them over the meat mixture, then cross hatch the top with a fork.
  8. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
NOTES:
  • I used poultry seasoning because I didn't have any rosemary.
  • I used 1/2 and 1/2 for the potatoes because I had some left over from the last recipe
  • I used a pie plate, so I had way more potatoes than I needed.  Yum.
  • I made beef bouillon with a Knorrs cube and hot water.
  • I mashed the potatoes in the pot with an immersion blender. I love that thing.
Results:




and


No, this is not low glycemic index.  But it's Friday night and it's comfort food.  Yum.

1 comment:

quilly said...

Shepherd's Pie! Now I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow!