1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Large onion, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 lb ground lamb or beef
1 cup beef or chicken broth
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 tsp chopped fresh or dry rosemary
1 Tbs chopped Italian parsley
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
6 Tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk (any fat content)
kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots, and meat Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the frozen vegetables.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish, set aside
- Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
- Spread them over the meat mixture, then cross hatch the top with a fork.
- Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- I used poultry seasoning because I didn't have any rosemary.
- I used 1/2 and 1/2 for the potatoes because I had some left over from the last recipe
- I used a pie plate, so I had way more potatoes than I needed. Yum.
- I made beef bouillon with a Knorrs cube and hot water.
- I mashed the potatoes in the pot with an immersion blender. I love that thing.
No, this is not low glycemic index. But it's Friday night and it's comfort food. Yum.