Thursday, May 21, 2009

INVIGILATE AWAY


Invigilate -- what a great word! Used by the 'test proctoring' community, it is what I will be doing today at
South Lakes High School for the International Baccalaureate program exams. It is the same thing teachers have always done -- monitoring students to make sure they're complying with the rules of fairness. It is a LOT harder these days for teachers though. With electronic devices getting smaller and smaller, and students being more and more creative, I wonder whether eventually testing rooms will have to have electronics jamming devices to be switched on during exams. Of course, that just escalates innovation and IB students tend to be a very smart bunch!

I am NOT implying that the students at South Lakes try to evade the rules! They have shown themselves to be diligent, motivated and when I've been invigilating, extremely rules-compliant. I enjoy being there with these bright young minds. It gives me hope for our future!

/kw

No comments: