Friday, May 22, 2009

Life Is Just Too Short ...

...to waste time reading books that don't engage your imagination. I've given myself a new rule that if a book doesn't capture my fancy by page 25, I'm not going to waste any more time on it. What a change from the days when I read ANYTHING just to be reading!

One thing I've learned working with the Used Book Sale at Reston Regional Library is that there are a LOT of books published that don't appeal to me. Even fewer that do appeal but that I want to spend money on! I've gotten so spoiled with our low prices that I can't stand purchasing anything from the BIG book stores...and even one of our local used book stores drives me crazy with their pricing, but I guess they have to make a living too.

Anyway, I'm going to list books on here that I found not worth the time to finish. If you read one of them and disagree, tell me that in the comments! If you think there's something I need to 'hang on' for later in the book, let me know that! And tell me what you like to read...and don't like to read as well.

The first is one that haunted me in high school. I tried it again as an adult with children thinking perhaps now I had the maturity to appreciate it.  Nope. Still terrible. The second is one that I just ran across the other day. Maybe for a Jane Austen fan, but I found it tedious. Actually, it is what prompted me to blog this. I kept glaring at it for a couple of days and then took action. SO the list begins:

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
Jane and the Wandering Eye by Stephanie Barron

/kw

No comments: