Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee graciously hosts this meme each Wednesday. If you'd like to join us, copy the questions, paste them on your blog on WEDNESDAY, with YOUR answers. Then go back to 2nd Cup, click on Mr. Linky and voila - people will come visit your blog and say nice things! So here we go:
1. How do you feel about "Gladiator" sandals, also called "Roman" or "Jesus" sandals? A fashion yea or nay? Nay. I think they look pretty silly. Especially on men.
2. What is your favorite pizza? Generous George's Mediterranean with Genoa Salami added.
3. There are plans in the works to sell roughly 1,000 items from Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. This means you could buy Picard's chair for your family room. If not a Star Trek item, what prop, background, set, etc. from what TV or movie would you buy if you could?
[Ex: Hurley's "I Love my Shih tzu" shirt from LOST, the plantation home "Tara" from Gone With the Wind, or Tracy's tambourine from the Partridge Family.] I'd buy the whole set of the trial used in To Kill a Mockingbird.
4. Name a local food or restaurant that your area is famous for. It's Washington, D.C. -- there are a lot of great restaurants. One that is famous is Bullfeathers. It has "Congressional History" but here are also many, many restaurants around this area that are notorious due to congressional history as well (can you say young interns?). Out here in the suburbs we have Glory Days Grill which is a local sports restaurant/bar. We're still looking for a new favorite Thai restaurant (our favorite closed) and I'd give a free meal to someone who can find me a GREAT Mexican restaurant (not adequate - I want GREAT). One of the most overrated restaurants around here is L'Auberge Chez Francois. I'm not posting the link because it really is way overrated.
5. What is your current favorite snack? Spinach Bars. Click the link for the recipe.
6. Hypothetical: You are required to be a reality show contestant. Which show would you choose based on your probability of success? (You cannot choose "none.")
A. Dancing with the Stars
B. Biggest Loser
I don't watch TV so I have no idea what the limits of 'probability' are, but I can tell you I'd never out dance anyone, I only have 10lbs to lose, not enough to even make it on the 2nd show and for Survivor, I'm not going anywhere that I might get stung or bit or poison ivy!
7. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being uninhabitable and 10 being cleanliness that meets the standards of OCD, how clean is your vehicle's interior? Ha ha! I'm so glad I vacuumed my car last week! I'd say it's about an 8 right now - largely because I no longer have small children who eat in the car!
8. It doesn't feel like Spring until I can fling open the windows and listen to kids playing.
9. Something that made you laugh really hard recently is Susan's e-mail. Because she and Thom have this running joke about the planet Uranus, I sent her a link to a science story that was studying caterpillar butts. She wrote back commenting about the name of the sponsoring university -- it was WAY too familiar to her. Read the story - and if you know Susan, you'll be laughing too.
10. Tell me about a goal you're working toward. I've decided to be part of the Monkee Revolution and just to try very hard to not be a jerk. It's a day by day purposeful decision, sometimes hour by hour, especially if I'm on the road. My goal for the summer is to memorize the Book of Romans. Yikes!
11. Share a thought-provoking or inspiring quote this week. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view -- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
12. Name one thing that you do as a parent that you absolutely know will make your kids happy. If you're not a parent, feel free to substitute "friend" or nomenclature that works for you. I do lots of things that do make my kids happy, but anything I do to "make" them happy is pretty fruitless because being happy is a choice they have to make each day. Even the most beloved rituals and foods have lost their luster on occasion in the glare of teen angst. It's just hormones, but it still has a way of sucking the life out of a potentially happy moment. Fortunately, it doesn't occur all that often!
Whew! These were loaded questions this week! Good job, Lid!