Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Pat's Day Green

We had a coffee fellowship at Community Bible Study this morning.  I wanted to make something different to take and as I had a little extra time, I made these. This is a recipe from my neighbor. I love everything about it except the name. I think the name is false advertising. I'd love to hear your suggestion for re-naming!

I think the next time I make it I'll use less butter, and I'll add some heat (cayenne).  Otherwise, to quote the teen daughter who just had one, "Oh, YUM!"  Oh - and the St. Pat's touch -- the spinach is GREEN.


Spinach Brownies
Ingredients
·         1 10-ounce package spinach, rinsed and chopped
·         1 onion, chopped fine
·         1 tsp. oil
·        1 cup all-purpose flour
·        1 teaspoon salt
·        1 teaspoon baking powder
·        2 eggs
·        1 cup milk
·        1/2 cup butter, melted
·        1 8-ounce package shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
1.    Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2.    Place spinach in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook until spinach is limp, about 3 minutes. Drain, squeeze water out.  Set aside.
3.         Sauté the onions in the tsp oil – just until they’re soft. Set aside.
4.    In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in eggs, milk, and butter. Mix in spinach, onion, and mozzarella cheese. Mix thoroughly.
5.    Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before cutting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure about these LOL. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and your family :)

The Bug said...

Wow, these sound fabulous! And you're right about the name - eww! I would call them Savory Spinach Bars.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The word brownie doesn't seem right but it sounds delicious. I am a huge fan of spinach. Thanks for the recipe. I will call them spinach squares!

Susan at Stony River said...

I looooove spinach so this is a keeper! LOL

quilly said...

This sounds yummy! I think I would simpley call them Mine!