Thursday, May 5, 2011

1 Chronicles 16:34  34 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.

Psalm 7:17  17 I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness; 

   I will sing the praises of the name of the LORD Most High.'

2 Corinthians 2:14  14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.

Philippians 4:6 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Philippians 1:3  3 I thank my God every time I remember you.

1 Timothy 2:1  1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—

I just love how God's Word has so many answers to the same question, and I can always find an answer to any questions I have. The filter through which I need to see everything is:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

So, am I loving God with everything I have?  Am I loving my neighbor the same way?
An easy filter; difficult execution

3 comments:

The Bug said...

To answer your last question - um, no. Either I 1) treat myself poorly, make bad decisions etc. which means that I should treat my neighbor better, or 2) I just go ahead & treat my neighbor poorly because I don't really love them. Sigh.

Maude Lynn said...

Absolutely true.

quilly said...

I have made it my life's goal to treat others with fairness, kindness and compassion. Other people seem to think I do pretty well at it, but I have to tell you I miss up a lot.

Life wears us down and we get cranky and cynical. Your post (sermon) is an excellent reminder to check the status of our heart for others.