Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I Can't Explain It

I'm the first to admit I am NOT a traffic engineer, or any other kind of engineer.  My husband is. Once I drove him crazy trying to give him directions and telling him two roads were parallel until they ran into each other.

So, I am woefully unqualified to judge a traffic design.

Except, this one doesn't make sense on any level.


This is an intersection near my house of a MAJOR traffic artery.  If the poor pedestrian crosses over from the shopping center here, he is greeted with a barrier. That shunts him to the right (where I was standing when I took this photo).  And that places the pedestrian directly in the "RIGHT TURN ON RED AFTER NO ONE EVER STOPS" lane.  And there the path/sidewalk continues.

On the other side of the intersection, there's no barrier, but the striping is such that if the pedestrian is standing at the cross walk, waiting to cross, he is standing in the  "RIGHT TURN ON RED AFTER NO ONE EVER STOPS" coming off the high-speed Fairfax County Parkway.

Other than these small potentially fatal flaws, it's a very brightly attractively painted crosswalk.



1 comment:

The Bug said...

Well I TOTALLY get the concept of two roads being parallel until they meet - it happens all the time! :)

Obviously the designer of this crosswalk has never actuall walked anywhere. Duh!