Sunday, May 23, 2010

Busy Day, Busy Night

Yesterday was supposed to be uneventful. And it was until my husband called. It seems that a very young driver had miscalculated timing/distance/clearance, and turned left across traffic right in front of him. He was on the main road, going at the speed limit (40), and had no time to avoid her. He jerked the wheel so he would hit her on the front quarter panel rather than square on her driver's door.  Praise God, no injuries. They both walked away from the accident. Her dad even DROVE her car away from it. Ours is probably totaled. They will call us on Monday to tell us whether we're new car shopping. In the meantime, my husband will be driving mine.

Amazingly, all of my 'must drive to' activities finished up last week. I have no need for a car in the day time until Thursday - and even then, I can change the appointment (or I could ride my bike but it will be a long ride home - uphill!).

At the time the accident occurred, 12:20, our children were ministering at the Lamb Center. It's a meals and laundry ministry in Fairfax that ministers to the homeless. At that time, they were praying with the group. My daughter says they were praying about the Holy Spirit.  She's at that age where she's trying to sort out her own beliefs, and was "spooked" in a GOOD way about this "coincidence."  God is good all the time.

When my husband called, I had just put a cake in the oven. I had some left over plain yogurt to use up, and tried this new recipe. It is AMAZINGLY good. But in view of my last post, I have exercised self control.  And I WILL be on the bike a lot this week.

Chocolate Yogurt Loaf Cake

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain yogurt (low fat is fine)

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until the mixture is fluffy and resembles wet sand.  Beat in egg and egg white.  Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture.

In a small bowl, whisk together water, cocoa powder, vanilla and yogurt until mixture is smooth.  Add half of this mixture to the sugar mixture, followed by another 1/3 of the flour mixture.  Stir in remaining yogurt and remaining flour, stirring only until no streaks of flour remain.

Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.

Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let cake cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then carefully cut along the sides of the pan to release the cake and turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

Things I would have done differently:  I took it out at 55 minutes.  I should have given it the extra five.  And, I would serve with whipped cream or topping if serving for guests!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Busy night?  Oh yes, about 2am we were awoken by great crashing thunder, sky-splitting lightning and torrential rain. It went on for about half an hour - and the rain still continues to some degree even now. I love thunder storms! When scientists are saying they've "created" life in the lab, I just chuckle and say, "maybe you can do stuff in very controlled circumstances that you think is life, but thunderstorms are proof that humans have a LONG way to go before we can pretend to be God.

4 comments:

sara said...

so glad every one is ok. I had an older lady do that to me once, I stopped an inch from her car and she NEVER saw or heard me..she just kept going.

that cake sounds yummy, however I don't think I ever have plain yogurt hanging around. :)

Susan at Stony River said...

Congratulations to all of you that things turned out okay!

I've been good on my diet, but am in for cake this week too, with a birthday for my youngest daughter coming up on Friday. It's all celery from here 'til then LOL

quilly said...

I am so glad that your hubby and the lady who hit him are both fine! How scary.

I would have to buy plain yogurt to make this. It probably won't happen!

SouthLakesMom said...

Sara and Quilly - yes, the plain yogurt was the key. I had it left over from a breakfast where I had plain yogurt in the center bowl, and filled the cubbies around it with fruit, granola, etc.

Otherwise it would NOT have been around here either! Flavored is the way to go!