Friday, June 18, 2010

In the Details

You know how they say God is in the tiniest details?  Read what happened yesterday.

The setting is that I was at the Rec Center helping set up the All-Night Graduation Party for our high school.  While we set up, the Rec center was still open and people were coming through for classes. A young woman with a small child came through for swim lessons. She asked what high school this was for, and I answered. Then I laughed and said, "Man, there was NOTHING like this when I was in high school." She said, "oh we had one, back in Arkansas." I laughed again saying, "Yes, but you're a lot younger than me!"

Then I asked, "where are you from in Arkansas?"She said, "Little Rock." I said, "that's where my cousins are from." She said, "really, where in town do they live?" I said, "I don't know the parts of town, but one of my cousins is a pastor at a Methodist church." She said, "Really?  I was a Methodist all my life." I said, "Oh, maybe you know her.  Her name is (and I told her my cousin's name)."

The young woman's eyes got as big as dinner plates and she teared up. She said, "Your cousin's mother B was my mom's best friend." She went on to tell me about her mom and B teaching together, her mom attending B's funeral and attending my cousin L's wedding (which I also attended)! I asked if she remembered my uncle, F (he died of ALS several years ago). She said, "oh yes!" I told her my mom is F's surviving sister. Then her child wanted to move, and I needed to get back to what I was doing, but I think we separated as changed people.

So, of all the people in DC area and all the people in Little Rock, Arkansas, what do you think the odds are that I would have met someone that specifically knew our family?

I don't remember her name - it was a really chaotic time, but I know she takes a child to swim lessons on Thursdays, so maybe I'll stop by next Thursday and see if I see her and talk some more. But maybe not. Maybe this was just God's way of reminding me that He is in every detail.

And by the way, Congratulations to South Lakes Senior Class of 2010.  Well done!

5 comments:

Nessa said...

It is so wonderful when these moments happen.

quilly said...

I love those little God moments when he reminds us that we are all connected.

Mary said...

You never know how you're going to be connected to, do you? My sister said when she used to travel, she would always wear a shirt that had the name of the city she lived in on it.
When we went to Denmark last summer, one of the flight attendants on the trans-Atlantic flight struck up a conversation with us. Turns out he's from a small town the next county over from us!

Larry said...

it's really strange how god shows up out of nowhere isn't it. Loved your flash 55. I'm up just follow the link below.


Merit Badge


Thanks for Reading...

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

those little moments are the essence of life. ncie write-up

cheers