Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Victory on Wheels

I did it again -- yesterday I rode my bike to the "Y", did a work-out, and rode home!  This time, the chain stayed intact, although I think I'm only getting 3 gears.  I'll think about that tomorrow.

Then about 2 pm yesterday I was DONE. I was so tired my eyelids hurt! So I guess I need to do it more often to make it less of a drain on my poor body! Especially if I'm still getting up at 5:30 to get kids moving. Two more days. Two more days.

Making them go these last couple of days -- and for only TWO HOURS on Thursday is just stupid. Tomorrow is Field Day at my son's school and he's begging me to stay home. Field Day is mandatory organized outdoor fun. He's a bit of an athlete but even he hates it. Sorry kid, you got the mean mom.

I'm told it's the legacy of segregation in Virginia that requires legislature approval for cutting the school year shorter (because Virginia closed the schools rather than integrate back in the day).  Right now, it doesn't matter what color a kid is, they want OUT, OUT, OUT! They gave us 1 day grace, or we'd be going Friday too.

Anyway, last night I made a ginger garlic chicken that was easy and FAST and healthy (well, except I spilled the salt when I made the rice so it was much saltier than usual).  Here's the chicken recipe.

4 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
1 Tbs oil
3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
2 Tbs minced ginger (see the tip below)
The juice of 4 limes.
salt, pepper

Using an extremely sharp knife, cut the chicken breasts in half making them thinner -- like from a half-heart shape to a sort-of heart shape. (This is easier to do if you put the thawed breasts in the freezer for 15 minutes or so)

Put the breast pieces, one at a time, in a ziploc bag. Push most the air out, seal it, and pound the chicken with something heavy until it is no thicker than 1/2 inch. Repeat with all other chicken pieces.

Put the oil, garlic, ginger and limes into a different ziploc bag, add the chicken pieces. Push the air out and marinate the chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes MAX.

Heat up the grill.  Salt and pepper the pieces. Grill them about 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve with rice, veggies, or anything else. Leftovers are great on tortillas.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! My summer is half over already! Wish it was just getting started!

Susan at Stony River said...

Amazing that your kids are still in school -- Irish kids just got out of school for (what's left of) the summer and I always thought that was insane!

Congratulations on the biking however -- I'm just waddling along these days, in this heat.