Saturday, October 19, 2013

Alleycat, alleycat

Boy did I have fun today trying something new. I participated in the 19th Amendment Alleycat Race. Alleycats are a different breed of bike racing. Alleycat races were started by bike messengers.  You can read more about them HERE.

This one was women-only because it was designed to celebrate the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex

I first drove to the metro station in neighboring town with my bike on the back. Then I rode my bike the 15 miles into DC, only getting lost once.

On my way to the meet up point, I saw these two works of art.


Next, I met up with some amazing young women who organized this whole thing. Then I found two teammates, Jo and Julia.

And then we were off -- on a scavenger hunt using bikes in DC -- all over Capitol Hill.  After we finished, I caught the metro home and then drove from Vienna.  Just think -- next year, I'll be able to bike in and metro almost all the way home since the new stations will be open in my town!  Woo-hoo!

Here are some photos of the day. I'm too tired to be much more creative!
Jo in Pennsylvania Ave bike lane


Jo, Julia and Stephanie, who rode with us for a short
while but who is younger and much faster!





1 comment:

The Bug said...

That sounds like a GREAT time!