Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Random Dozen



Linda from Second Cup has our favorite question meme up again. You can join us by going to her blog to copy the questions. Answer them on your blog, and then link back to her tomorrow -- Wednesday!


1. What is your favorite Mexican dish?
Carnitas
2. When you were a kid, did you get started on your homework right away after school, or did you procrastinate?
I finished all my 'home' work at school through about 8th grade so it was a horrible shock to get to high school and realize that the teachers designed the day so that was NOT possible. Once I got over the shock, I did the things I liked right away and procrastinated on the rest...which explains the good grades in the things I liked!
3. What is your favorite store for home furnishings?
I like to browse at Restoration Hardware, and World Market, and others -- but when I actually buy (which is rare), I find the best deal. That is NOT usually at Restoration Hardware (even the so-called outlet store here is buku bucks!)
4. When you were young, did you like school lunches? 
No. I took my lunch. My kids are the same way although part of their motivation is that they don't want to spend their social time standing in line to get something that passses for food.

5. Is religion a crutch?
I think it can be...a crutch is something you lean on only when you need it. But a living faith is more like a force field that fills you and surrounds you 24/7.

6. In your region, what is the "big" (most popular in the community or state) high school sport? 
In Northern Virginia, I think the "big" high school sport is competitive college hunting. All the other more conventional sports are pretty much spread evenly.

7. Do you consider yourself rich?
In things of man, we're amazingly blessed -- not the richest people in the area by far -- but provided for most adequately.  In things of God, the riches are beyond measure. 

8. Which of these would you have the best chance for success in administering:
A) CPR
B) Heimlich Maneuver
C) Changing a flat tire
I had training for the first two about two years ago, so they're more recent, but I do know how to change a flat tire if I absolutely must.

9. Which dance would you prefer to learn & why: 
A) Salsa
B) Hip Hop
C) Waltz
D) Swing
Probably salsa because a little bit of unconventional movement due to lack of coordination would be less noticeable!

10. What's the worst news you've ever delivered to someone?  
Telling my husband and children that a dear friend of ours had died suddenly.

11. Name something you learned in college that had nothing to do with classes or academics.  
Jazz is an acquired taste.
12. New variation on an old question: If there's a song in your head that just won't get out, what is your favorite (or most repeated) line in that song?
For some reason, as I write these, I'm hearing "We're not going to take it" by Twisted Sister in my head. I have no idea why that's there. It's a very rebellious attitude song -- I probably need to go have some quiet time with God to figure out what He's trying to get me to look at in my life!

12 comments:

Jill said...

#9 and #11 really made me laugh! Have a great day!

SusanD said...

Oh, I love Restoration Hardware. They have some of the best "old timey" toys and games at Christmas. We used the same words for #7...beyond measure! Great answers. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Melli said...

I LOVE JAZZ! I don't know when I acquired it... but I do love it!

I'm going to have to google a Carnita - I have never even heard of that one! I knOw I want to try it!

I had prepared my answers yesterday afternoon - but last night Luz had us (the whOle family) singing we will, we will ROCK you, ROCK you ... and so of course I can't get it out of my head... grrrr!

Lisa Laree said...

Competitive college hunting!! LOL!!! Sigh...my senior son still hasn't managed to sign up for the ACT; I think I'm gonna pin a note for the guidance counselor to his shirt...

The Bug said...

Well, now I have Twisted Sister in my head too. And, really, that's kind of scary :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Restoration Hardware is a great answer. There isn't one nearby but I love walking through that store.
We didn't have meals in grade school. I went home for lunch or people brought their lunch. Hope your having a great week.

Kathy said...

I always look forward to reading your answers each week, and I always enjoy them--this week was no exception! Competitive college hunting, that's a new one for me! LOL

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Thanks so much for stopping by today. And, since you referred to Northern Virginia in your entry, I'm assuming that is where you live. I was born in Newport News, VA. and lived in Virginia for many years. It is "home" to me. I go every year to see my Aunt and just love the beautiful state of Virginia. I call it "God's Country." Blessings to you!

Teresa Dawn said...

There's a few jazz songs I like but I'm not a huge fan.

The social time thing was the opposite for me at my school. In middle school and high school (when they sold lunches at the school) everyone bought them. So Yes those kids spent half their lunch standing n line but... that's where all my friends were and I was sitting around waiting for them while they all chatted in the line up haha.

In Elementary everyone had to bring a lunch but you couldn't talk while you ate anyways. You had to sit quietly at your desk to eat lunch and wait for the bell to ring and then everyone could go play at the same time but you were no longer allowed to eat so if you hadn't finished yet you ahd to bring the rest home.

Mel said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. To bad you can't find any decent mexican food. I just had a burrito for lunch today. Hehehe. Anways thanks for stopping by. I'm following your blowg now :)
http://heismybeloved.blogspot.com

quilly said...

Carnitas! Yum. One of the few things I miss about Vegas is the authentic Mexican foods.

Maribeth said...

Love your answers. A Carnita? hmmm, I will have to try that. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I'm way behind commenting this week.