Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Our First Snow Day

Unfortunately, it's an ice day.  I was pleased that they cancelled school because I was going to be taking my son to see his allergist in Bethesda and this way he wouldn't miss school.  But even at 9am (when we would have had to leave), the roads were still icy.  I called the clinic to reschedule and they cancelled the appointment and said they'd have to call me back for reschedule -- the staff that does that hadn't made it in yet.  YIKES!

So, we're staying home and warm and safe and being grateful for this extra bit of time to do things we don't get around to on school days. . . like sleep.

and laundry.

and clearing up the filing stacked up behind my desk.

Okay, so maybe I'll skip the filing. I have a boatload of family photos to separate into their respective bins. I'll do that instead!

I hope that wherever you are you are safe, warm, and your tummy is full.

Here's a recipe for cold weather comfort food:



Crockpot Cocoa

3 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder (use Carnation)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup flavored powdered nondairy creamer (I used French Vanilla, you can also try Irish cream)
8-10 cups water

Combine all ingredients except water in 3-4 quart crockpot.  Stirring with a wire whisk, gradually add the water until the mixture is smooth.  Cover and let it cook on low for 3-4 hours.  Whisk again before serving. Marshmallows are a must, or serve with a dollop of whipped cream!

No comments: