Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shades of Blue

I went to the National Naval Medical Center today (soon to be called Walter Reed National Capital Medical Center at Bethesda - whew!) for a check-up. Despite all the construction in the area as they combine the two services' hospitals, it was really easy to get around. The new building is beautiful - no really, it is beautiful.

They haven't gotten around to putting up the "No Smoking Within 50 feet of entrance" signs yet, so there was a guy in the area between the parking garage and front door who was smoking a pipe. It wasn't too bad as I walked by, but I'd imagine PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) is going to have something to say about it. That's the area where these residents hang out.  They do look rather healthy, but I didn't see any wetlands anywhere nearby.



When I was stuck in construction traffic there was a car in front of me that had a bumper sticker that said, "My daddy fights for our freedom." I like that.  The car was maroon (of course) and had USMC all over it. Hoo-wah.  I took a photo but I can't figure out how to make the iPhone zoom, so you can't really read it.

And finally, there were all these young men walking around wearing blue camouflage uniforms. Now, I understand that the Navy wants its own COLOR uniforms, but just exactly what will they blend in with? The ocean if they fall in?

Sigh.  The Air Force tiger stripes aren't much better. When I was active duty and we wore BDU's (only during exercises), they were the kind that we could blend into the trees wearing. There was a point to the camouflage.

Ah well...at least there's a nice facility with nice folks working there, serving our active duty and retired military members. I'm grateful.  To those of you who pay taxes and have never served, thank you for helping underwrite that. To those of you who pay taxes AND have served in the military, you've earned every bit of those benefits. And I thank you, too!

3 comments:

quilly said...

I have seen the blue fatigues here in Seattle and wondered at their purpose. I mean, they're called "camouflage" for a reason right? Right?

And as am American tax payer I am more than pleased to pay for the medical care required by our soldiers and vets. It is the least I can do to repay my debt for their service.

SouthLakesMom said...

Quilly, thank you. You'd be surprised at how many people begrudge their tax dollars going to pay for medical treatment for retirees. One of the incentives to serve in the 60's was that the veteran and his family would get lifetime medical care -- because usually the military members were not eligible for most civilian health insurance plans, nor could they afford it.

It's funny that the medical treatment Congresswoman Giffords is getting is not questioned by any. What happened to her was a tragedy, but it's no more a tragedy due to her celebrity status than it is for a young soldier who gets injured in Afghanistan.

The Bug said...

Well, at least BLUE occurs in nature sometimes - I've seen PINK camo stuff (that's usually just on redneck girls though).

Oh I totally think that we should cover veterans' medical expenses - especially because, as you state, they might not otherwise be eligible for coverage.