Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Questions About the Old Days

From Quilly, From Barbara -- a survey...A funny thing -- I have photos to illustrate almost all of these answers but I decided to spare you, and they're too difficult to line up in blogger!


Who was your first

“best friend”? A girl named Lisa who lived near us in Midwest

City, Oklahoma.

What was your most memorable birthday as a child?

I don't really have one that stands out. (But apparently I liked cake!)

Who was your first “crush”? A really cool boy named Mike -- fifth grade! I

wonder if he's on FB --

I think I don't want to see what time has done to him!

Where was the best vacation your family took as a child? When we lived in Japan we took 'hops' to Thailand, Korea, Taiwan and the

Philippines. Thailand was my favorite because it was so exotic although in

Korea we visited the DMZ and THAT was quite an experience for an impressionable 13 year old.

What was your favorite pastime as a child? Reading.

When did you learn to ride a two-wheel bike?

First grade -- after we moved back to Oklahoma.

What is your most traumatic memory as a child? getting in trouble for things I deserved to get in trouble for. It was terrible when my mom would look at me and say, "I am so disappointed in you."

What age did you learn to swim? We took swimming lessons from about age 8-11. I hated them because I was skinny as a stick and the outdoor pool was always freezing cold. I managed an inept fashion of swimming out of that for years. Then 3 years ago I decided that I was smart enough to figure this out and started swimming in the "Y" pool. All those years they'd yelled at me to breathe to the left came back so, being naturally rebellious, I breathed to the right and guess what -- now I am an accomplished swimmer! Even took group lessons to improve my stroke and endurance.

What smell automatically takes you back to your childhood? Chocolate chip cookies. That orange stuff they use in school when a kid gets sick. Sawdust.

What was your first pet? The first one I remember was a daschund named Hikokinomimi (Airplane Ears) but we called her Snookie. We got her when I was in 3rd grade and she lived until I was in college.

Who impacted your life as a child? Lots of people. Miss Berry the choir director. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Murray. Our post chaplain in Japan, Buddy Miller.

What is the most exciting Christmas gift you received as a child?

A microscope. (This is the kind of photo my siblings wish I would lose)

Who was the neighborhood bully when you were growing up? An unspecified member of my family.

Who was/is your best friend as a teenager?

We moved so, Gwen and then after we moved, Tami

What is the first car you can remember your family owning? An Impala Station Wagon. When we left Japan we sold it to a Japanese ambulance company.

What was the first award you ever received? Based on stupid stuff - Kindergarten princess ( I looked for the photo of this but can't find it. Oh well)

Based on merit -- Third Grade Reading Award

What is the name of the first sports team you played on? Fort Hunt Crew Team

3 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I see we had the same favorite childhood pasttime!

I don't know about you, but thinking of some of these memories has triggered even more memories!

Anonymous said...

This is a great list. I can't remember back that far LOL

Charlene Amsden said...

I loved reading, too! When I wasn't on a bike I was reading. Sometimes i rode my bike to places I could hide and read and not be called to chores!

I am glad you did this meme. It is fun to compare and contrast answers. Our childhoods were very different, yet much the same.