Monday, September 21, 2009

Take This Tune

Thanks again to Jamie for encouraging and inspiring. Over at her meme, Take This Tune, she posts a thought-provoking video on Friday and challenges us to respond to it on our own blogs on Monday morning.

The painting she posted, September Morn, by Paul Chabas is exquisite. I had never heard of this artist, so I did a little Googling -- not much on him! I'll be on the hunt for more of his work now. Thank you!

And the video, ahhhh Neil Diamond. What a voice. In keeping with your theme of September, you highlighted that song. But it made me start thinking about his version of The Jazz Singer and the fabulous music it had in it. That made me start thinking about the scene where he sings the blessing for Yom Kippur. Of course, I had to find it on Youtube. I am not Jewish, but hearing these voices raised in praise to God strikes a chord deep in my soul.



Then I looked for "Coming to America" from the same movie and found that some people parodied it after September 11, 2001 and it became very unpopular because of that. All I can say is that if we let terrorists and small-minded people dictate our choice of music, they win. I refuse to let them have the date September 11, 2001 and I refuse to let them dictate my listening choices.

Let's Roll.

5 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

SouthLakes Mom, a great post! Isn't it amazing how jamie's prompts suggest so many wonderful subjects! Thanks for visiting me! :)

Durward Discussion said...

Should you get a chance to enter a synagogue for the evening service on Yom Kippur and hear a truly great cantor sing the Kol Nidre, make the effort. This year that will be the evening of 9/27. It is a quietly powerful religious experience.

Durward Discussion said...

Oh meant to mention that a friend who had two sons. Both entered the technical side of the Movie business, but one during Art School created a magnificent video of "Coming To America" that was a genealogy of his family in photographs coming from Europe to America in the 1800s. It was a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Excellent my friend. Neil Diamond has always been one of my favorites :)

Charlene Amsden said...

I love Neil. And I agree that we should all reclaim September 11th. I don't think we should forget what happened, but I don't want to be part of a nation united in hate.