Friday, May 17, 2013

Every Day in May -- Day 17

Today is National Bike to Work Day

I helped the Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling (FABB) at their table at our local town center. I'm a member of FABB and got a bunch of people to sign up for our newsletter.

I also got to practice putting my bike on the front of a bus. That was cool.  This isn't me, but it's one of the photos from our FABB website.  

And of course, there were freebies.

As it wound up I realized I needed to get to Ashburn for a meeting so I jumped on my bike and headed out.

I meet a friend at the Wegman's out there every Friday.  Today I discovered their bike rack on the north end of the building (I've been going to the other end, but I forgot my lock today so wanted to stay close by).  It's a wave rack, which architects love and bicyclists don't.  And look at this.


Do you see the problem?  I know very few cyclists who smoke. But over and over again, next to the rack provided for the most healthy form of transportation, I see grocery stores doing this.  Ick.

Day 17 ... over halfway!

2 comments:

Tom said...

Wegmans had originally installed the rack closer to the entrance, but it was installed incorrectly --way too close to the fence. I informed their management of the issue. They would also push outdoor displays up against it, making it unsuable.

Their solution was to move the rack over to the cafe and install it incorrectly again (too close to the fence). The Butt Depot is just rubbing salt in the wound.

I escalated to corporate about the rack. The manager said he moved it "at the requests of cyclists who wanted it near the cafe." Clearly he was not talking to cyclists who use the rack in the winter.

SouthLakesMom said...

Maybe we need to have a FABB reach-out program to architects/planners entitled "how to correctly site a rack"...