Sunday, February 28, 2010

Et tu, Brute?



Day 12 speaks of the Betraying Tongue.

This person does more than gossip -- this person spills a confidence and does it with a malevolent purpose.

I've not been around many people who do this, probably because I am not in the workplace.  The only place I've experienced it was when I was in the law business.  I don't miss either being on the receiving end or being tempted to join in ascribing it to being "part of the game."

One of the guiding principles of our Community Bible Study group is that it is a safe place for people to share their concerns and worries, and that information is kept confidential. The joy of that is that people can be transparent and open and really start to heal from some pretty icky things. It only works because we all agree to that. This is the most unique group I've ever been involved with in this way. And it all revolves around prayer.

If you know someone like this, you should be praying for them.  But keep your distance as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Game players like that can kiss my big white fat buttocks! I can't be bothered with people like that and avoid them like the plague.

Susan at Stony River said...

Oh boy. Unnamed female relative comes to mind with this one...but yes, the workplace is likely jammed with them. One thing I don't miss since quitting, is the office politics.

You're so lucky to have a group like that! But I imagine some stories can be hard to hear.

quilly said...

I grew up with a cousin like this. My experience with her has led me to form three conversational rules: 1.) never repeat anything you don't want universally known; 2.) turn down all offers to hear exclusive news; 3.) if a confidence is involved, never break it.

If someone says to me, "Can I tell you something I don't want anyone else to know?" tell them I would rather not hear it either, that way of the news gets out, they will know it did not come from me.